Weekly CG Challenge #114: "Ancient Technology"Background artwork by Zoran Petrovic
Welcome to Weekly CG Challenge #114 with the topic “Ancient Technology”!
Deadline: December 4th, 2017 16:00 GMT
Join the fun on Facebook!
The facebook group is an awesome place for feedback and help from the community! Post your WIP’s and questions and receive help from amateurs to professionals!
You have an idea for a new topic? Click here to make a suggestion!
Ancient Technology – In a world filled to the brim with high-end technology it’s always interesting to take a look back in history. To see what the Egyptians, the Greeks, the Romans, the Chinese had devised thousands of years ago is fascinating and inspiring alike. Delve deep into the history books and show us some curious device, weird Da Vinciesque war machine or go crazy and make something up on your own!
- Use the provided topic
- Create a new work
- Submit only one entry per challenge
- Mind the deadline
- Use any software of your choice (3d or 2d tools)
- Image entries should be at least 1000 pixels wide
- Work only digitally
- Don’t submit illegal or offending content
- Use the hashtag #weeklyCGC for social media
For the Facebook group
- Use the hashtag #wip for work in progress images
- Use the hashtag #final for your final submission
- Create renderings or animations, digital paintings or Sketchfab models (if not explicitly mentioned differently)
- Plug-ins and external assets are allowed, but don’t overdo it (you have to give credit)
- Post WIP’s and your finished work to the Facebook group or in the comments of this post
Disclosure: We can’t accept copyrighted or patented content for legal reasons. Designers of fashion, games, movies and other media do protect their brand and people who breach these rules will be disqualified. Hommages or recognisable styles fall outside these rules but do linger in a grey area. keep this in mind when designing your entry. Good luck and Have fun!
We pick three winners for each challenge. The winners will be announced a few hours after the challenge has ended. The prizes will be distributed like this:
The 1st winner can choose 6 prizes of the list below.
The 2nd winner can choose 5 of the prizes the 1st winner does not choose, from the list below.
The 3rd winner can choose 5 of the remaining prizes, from the list below.
Prizes for this challenge:
- Get pinned on the Facebook wall for two weeks (for all winners)
- 500 Credits for textures.com
- 2 model packs from Chocofur
- 1 license of Cycles Material Vault
- 3 months pro subscription for Sketchfab
- 1 month unlimited rendering with RenderStreet One
- 1 video training “Movie Scene Creation in Blender 3D“ (English or German)
- 1 video training “Space VFX Elements“
- $100 rendering credits for FOX Renderfarm
- 1 freelancer license of Quixel Suite 2 + 1 freelancer 4K license of any Megascans pack
- 1 steam license of Marmoset Toolbag 3
- 1 license of VR Plugin (for Maya)
- 3 months subscription for PHLEARN
- 1 license of Marmoset Hexels
- 1 license of PixPlant
- 1 Professional license of 3D Coat
- 1 license of “Friendly Shade Boundle 01” NEW!
- 1 video training “3D Stylized Character Course” NEW!
- 1 video training “The Cliff Tower Fantasy Course” NEW!
To pick the three winners, we follow these criteria:
- Does it fit the topic?
- Creativity and Idea
- Technical quality (modeling, shading, lighting etc.)
How to submit?
To submit your entry, follow these steps:
- Read and mind the rules above
- Create a digital artwork related to the topic
- Submit your entry via Facebook or this submit form
- Subscribe to the mailing list to get notified about the results (you won’t receive spam)
- Done! If you have won, we will contact you via Email or Facebook.
Please note: If you submit an animation, we will upload the video to the Weekly CG Challenge YouTube channel
Where to ask a question?
These sponsors are providing great prizes for the winners.
You have no idea what to create?
Here are some examples gathered from artstation.com and 3dtotal.com: